AAC&U Announces Directors and Officers for 2023
Mary Ann Villarreal, Vice President for Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion at the University of Utah, Assumes Position of Chair of the Board
Washington, DC—At the 2023 Annual Meeting of the American Association of Colleges and Universities (AAC&U), the association members elected seven new directors and new board officers. Mary Ann Villarreal, Vice President for Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion at the University of Utah, will serve as chair of the AAC&U Board of Directors; Mary Dana Hinton, President of Hollins University, will serve as past chair. Timothy K. Eatman, Inaugural Dean of the Honors Living-Learning Community at Rutgers University–Newark, will serve as vice chair of the board, and David Wilson, President of Morgan State University, as treasurer.
The seven new directors are:
- Adam Bush, Co-Founder and President-Elect, College Unbound (Providence, Rhode Island)
- Mike Flores, Chancellor, Alamo Colleges District (San Antonio, Texas)
- Jessica Riddell, Stephen A. Jarislowsky Chair of Undergraduate Teaching Excellence, Bishop’s University (Québec, Canada)
- Suzanne M. Rivera, President, Macalester College (St. Paul, Minnesota)
- Charles M. "Monty" Roessel, President, Diné College (Arizona and Navajo Nation)
- Rana Sobh, Professor of Marketing and Director of the Core Curriculum Program, Qatar University (Doha, Qatar)
- Randy Williams, Vice President and Associate Provost for Inclusive Excellence and Associate Professor of Education, Elon University (Elon, North Carolina)
“I am excited to serve as the incoming chair for the board of directors and to work with such remarkable leadership dedicated to the principles of equity and inclusion,” said Mary Ann Villarreal. “It is an honor to do this work and advance the mission of AAC&U to promote ‘the democratic purposes of higher education’ at a time when these values are routinely challenged.”
“I’m so grateful to the extraordinary group of leaders who serve on the AAC&U Board of Directors,” said AAC&U President Lynn Pasquerella. “I look forward to working with this year’s board members as we begin pursuing the objectives outlined in our new 2023–27 strategic plan, Equity, Innovation, and Excellence.”
At its January meeting, the AAC&U Board of Directors passed a resolution expressing appreciation for the dedicated service of outgoing board member Lenore Rodicio, Senior Fellow at the Aspen Institute College Excellence Program.
View the complete list of current AAC&U directors and officers.
The American Association of Colleges and Universities (AAC&U) is a global membership organization dedicated to advancing the democratic purposes of higher education by promoting equity, innovation, and excellence in liberal education. Through our programs and events, publications and research, public advocacy, and campus-based projects, AAC&U serves as a catalyst and facilitator for innovations that improve educational quality and equity and that support the success of all students. In addition to accredited public and private, two-year, and four-year colleges and universities and state higher education systems and agencies throughout the United States, our membership includes degree-granting higher education institutions in more than twenty-five countries as well as other organizations and individuals. To learn more, visit www.aacu.org.