Ohio PKAL STEM Educator Award
Ohio PKAL STEM Educator Award 2023
PROGRAM SUMMARY: The Ohio PKAL STEM Educator Award recognizes excellence and innovation in the field of STEM education at the college level. One Ohio STEM educator is selected annually to receive a $500 award. The recipient will be honored at the 2023 Annual Ohio PKAL Conference.
ELIGIBILITY: Applicants must be Ohio STEM college educators with a minimum of 3 years teaching experience in one or more STEM fields.
CRITERIA FOR JUDGING: Excellence in innovative STEM pedagogies is the main criterion for selection of the award recipient. This includes faculty who meet at least two of the following criteria:
- Implements innovative pedagogies that address real-world problem-solving.
- Encourages curiosity and generates excitement in STEM education by engaging students in STEM activities.
- Demonstrates effectiveness in teaching STEM subject(s).
- Participates in educational STEM activities outside of the classroom.
- Infuses 21st Century Skills into teaching (i.e., critical thinking, communication, collaboration, creativity).
- Models how educators can work with industry and communities to enrich STEM education.
- Mentors other STEM faculty.
AWARD SUBMISSION REQUIREMENTS (three separate references:
- First reference: A narrative (500 word maximum) describing how the nominee meets at least two of the criteria above. A person can self-nominate or be nominated by a colleague.
- Two letters of support from colleagues who can describe the merit of the nominee’s work.
- These letters should not exceed two pages each, and should be included with the narrative as a single file.
- Excellence in all criteria described above is not a requirement, and letter writers should strive to highlight candidate strengths or specific examples, as described in the nomination narrative.
- A vita (5 page maximum) that includes teaching experience, STEM-related professional development, STEM-related professional activities and awards.
- Submit all documents as a single file (.PDF) to [email protected] .
Late or faxed applications will not be accepted. Complete applications must be received by April 15, 2023. The award recipient will be notified in late April. Please email Dr. Amy Kulesza at [email protected] with any questions.
Further details about the Ohio PKAL regional network may be found at https://www.aacu.org/initiatives/pkal-regional-networks/ohio-pkal-regional-network-oh-pkal.