Perspectives and Presentations from AAC&U President Carol
President Schneider Speaks Out on the Humanities
- "Ignoring the Founders," Inside Higher Ed Op-ed (August 5, 2013)
- "Debating the English Major: ‘Discouraging Humanities is Uncommon Idiocy," in Wall Street Journal 'At Work' Blog (June 7, 2013)
- "A Dangerous Assault," Inside Higher Ed, Op-ed (February 8, 2013)
- "The Narrowing of the American Mind," Chronicle of Higher Education, Op-ed (October 22, 2012)
- “Did You Know? Employers Do Not Want Narrow, Illiberal Learning!,” Liberal Education, President's Message (Winter 2013)
- "'Degrees for What Jobs?' Wrong Question, Wrong Answers," Chronicle of Higher Education, Op-ed (May 1, 2011)
- Preface, The Drama of Diversity and Democracy (2011)
Presentations and Addresses
- Graduation Address, Ursinus College (May 2012)
- "Moving Democratic Learning from the Margins to the Core"
Remarks Delivered at the White House (January 2012)
- "The Quality Challenges are Mounting: Is Higher Education Ready to Lead?"
Presentation to the Higher Learning Commission (April 2011)
- "The Baccalaureate Degree: Meaning, Integrity, and Quality"
Presentation to the Southern Association of Colleges & Universities Commission on Colleges Annual Meeting (December 2009)
- "Organizing Assessment to Foster Students' Best Work"
Presentation to the Council for the Advancement of Standards National Symposium (November 2009)
- Carol Geary Schneider’s presentation for the Inside HigherEd teleconference, "Liberal Education for Everyone—Transforming Professional and Liberal Arts Programs" (September 2008)
- Graduation Address, The College of Wooster (May 2006)
Statements by Carol Geary Schneider
Articles, Op-Eds, Letters to the Editor, and Interviews
- Radio Higher Ed Interview (February 15, 2014)
- The Proof is in the Portfolio in The Chronicle of Higher Education (September 30, 2013)
- Memo to AAC&U Members on the Indispensable Liberal Arts and Sciences (August 2013)
- Op-ed, "A Dangerous Assault," in Inside Higher Ed (February 8, 2013)
- Op-ed, "The Narrowing of the American Mind," in Chronicle of Higher Education (October 22, 2012)
- Interview podcast with Radio Higher Ed, "Student Learning, Accountability, and Civic Learning"
- Guest blog post on Washington Post.com about the release of the report, A Crucible Moment (January 10, 2012)
- Written testimony on college completion and quality, submitted to the U.S. Department of Education (May 18, 2011)
- Op-ed, “Degrees for What Jobs? Wrong Question, Wrong Answers,” in Chronicle of Higher Education (May 1, 2011)
- Guest blog post on Washington Post.com about the proposed Lumina Degree Qualifications Profile and Academically Adrift. (January 27, 2011)
- Op-ed in Forbes magazine written by AAC&U president Carol Geary Schneider includes research and opinions about the importance of a liberal education. (August 10, 2009)
- Interview with Carol Geary Schneider in Change Magazine (November-December, 2008)
- Letter to the Editor of The Chronicle of Higher Education in response to “'Liberal Education': Lessons Beyond the Classroom” (August 4, 2008)
- President Schneider offers her condolences on the passing of education leader Patrick Hill (July 2008)
- Letter to the Editor of The Chronicle of Higher Education in response to "The Double Consciousness of Community Colleges" (October 26, 2007, subscription required).
- Letter to the Editor of the Wall Street Journal in response to
“Our Compassless Colleges" (September 5, 2007).
- President Schneider issues statement of regret on suspension of Antioch University Undergraduate College (June 2007)
- Higher Learning and the Accountability Debates (June 2007)
- Letter to the Editor of the New York Times on the article, Unsung Gems: Twenty Lesser-Known Colleges on Insiders’ Short Lists (July 2006)
on AAC&U's Campaign for Liberal Education in Inside
Higher Education (February 2005)
- President Carol Schneider
and Campus Compact Executive Director responds to Stanley
Fish Op-Ed denouncing the academy's embrace of civic engagement
as a goal (May 2004)
- Letter of Support
for the National Endowment for the Humanities (March
- AAC&U Urges Senate
to remove controversial advisory board from Title IV legislation (February 2004)
- Letter to the
Editor of Time Magazine Responding to Story
About Proposed Changes to the SAT from Carol Geary Schneider
Blog Postings by Carol Geary Schneider in Liberal Education Nation
President's Messages in Liberal Education