Characteristics of shared leadership:
- A greater number of individuals take on leadership roles than in traditional models.
- Leaders and followers are seen as interchangeable. Leadership may be more flexible and may emerge as need or may rotate more formally.
- Leadership is not based on position or authority. Individuals with the expertise and skills needed for solving the problem at hand are those that lead.
- Multiple perspectives and expertise are capitalized on for problem solving, innovation, and change.
- Collaboration and interactions across the organization are emphasized.