Forming a Team and Creating a Strong Application
Institute Campus Teams
A TRHT Campus Center team typically consists of a team leader and four team members, including at least one representative from a community partner organization. Team leaders are often senior academic or student affairs officers. Teams should be diverse and include individuals from various campus sectors who will be significantly involved in the projected TRHT work, as well as key campus and community stakeholders who could extend the reach of the TRHT Campus Center. Given that the goal is to prepare the next generation of strategic thinkers, teams should consider inviting students to participate. In the past, teams have included faculty, deans, departments chairs, community liaisons and members, chief diversity officers, and students.
Preparation for the Institute
Prior to attending the Institute, TRHT Campus Center teams will be asked to develop a vision statement, to identify possible community partners, to complete pre-Institute readings, and to reflect upon the existing TRHT framework and how the work aligns with their institutions’ strategic priorities. This preparation will allow teams to best use their time together at the Institute to identify strategies and practices for successful implementation of action plans when they return to their campuses and communities.
The online application consists of an information section and responses to the following prompts.
- The goal of the TRHT effort is to create positive narrative change about race in the community, to promote racial healing activities on campus and in the community, and to erase structural barriers to equal treatment and opportunity within the economic, legal, educational, and residential components of the community. Taking those factors into consideration, what is your vision for your campus TRHT efforts?
- What are your existing strategies for breaking down racial hierarchies and creating positive narrative change about race on your campus and in your community?
- What are the potential strategies your team will use to prepare the next generation of strategic leaders and critical thinkers to engage with communities in transforming America’s racial narrative into an ascendant one? What are your key leverage points for change?
- What is the campus and community context for this work?
- What meaningful alliances with key stakeholders, both within your institution and in the local community, will you engage and develop to help you achieve your TRHT vision?
Team leaders will receive notification of selection decisions by March 31, 2020.
Please email Siah Annand at firstname.lastname@example.org with questions or inquiries.