Support Those Affected by Hurricane Harvey
As the new academic year begins, our thoughts are with our colleagues, students, and families affected by Hurricane Harvey in Houston and the surrounding communities. AAC&U will continue to support colleges and universities in the region as they recover from this disaster.
For now, their most urgent needs are directly related to health and safety. Below is a list of Houston-based and national organizations providing relief efforts:
- Houston Mayor Sylvester Turner has established the Hurricane Harvey Relief Fund, which is being administered by the Greater Houston Community Foundation.
- The United Way of Greater Houston has established a flood relief fund to help with immediate needs as well as long-term services like minor home repair. To make a donation, visit their website or text UWFLOOD to 41444.
- Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (SPCA) of Texas
National organizations accepting donations and providing support:
- The American Red Cross is accepting donations online in any amount, or you can text HARVEY to 90999 to donate $10.
- AmeriCares is accepting donations that will be used for medicine and supplies to help support survivors.
- Catholic Charities provides food, clothing, shelter, and support services to people from all religious backgrounds.
- Donations to the Salvation Army can be made online by calling 1-800-SAL-ARMY (1-800-725-2769) or by texting STORM to 51555.
- The Humane Society of the United States
Anyone wishing to donate blood should contact the following organizations: