Frequently Asked Questions
Does the Institute have any scholarship funding available?
This year, we do not have scholarship funding available for the Institute.
May I commute to the Institute?
No. The PKAL STEM Leadership Institute is an intensive, fully immersive program that requires participants to remain in residence. Participants’ time each day is comprised of group activities, as well as individual and collective introspection. To that end, all participants are housed locally throughout the Institute.
May I bring my family to the Institute?
No. Because of the immersive nature of the Institute, participants and mentors are expected to participate in all activities starting with breakfast and ending with the evening session. For this reason, the Institute does not accommodate family members or friends.
Can more than one person from an institution attend the Institute?
There is no limit on the number of applicants from a single institution and it is possible for more than one individual from an institution to be accepted to the Institute. Because the Institute is designed for individual leadership growth and development, team applications are not appropriate. In cases where multiple applicants from the same institution are accepted, every effort will be made to separate them into different cohorts of participants.
I am not on a tenure-track on my campus? Am I still eligible to apply?
Non-tenure track faculty are eligible to apply. All applicants are expected to be full-time faculty at their institutions with at least 2- 4 years of teaching experience at the undergraduate level.
What are the accommodation options?
Accommodations are at the Christiane Inn at Claggett Center. The newly opened Inn has single and double rooms, each appointed with queen-sized beds, private bathroom, side tables, bedside table lamps, heating/ac control panel, towels, shampoo and soap. Single occupancy is available on a first-come/first-serve basis for an additional fee.
Due to scheduling, I will need to miss part of the Institute. Should I still apply?
No. Participants are required to attend the entire Institute.
What is included in the registration fee?
The registration fee for Institute participants includes all Institute activities, lodging for five nights, all meals, and learning materials. Single occupancy rooms are available at the Christianne Inn of the Claggett Center on a first-come/first-serve basis for an additional fee. Travel to and from the Institute is the responsibility of the participant and/or his/her campus.
Am I responsible for all of my travel arrangements to/from the Institute?
Yes. Institute participants are responsible for all travel arrangements to/from the Institute. Adamstown, MD is located 45 miles outside of Washington, DC. Transportation options include:
- Baltimore/Washington International Thurgood Marshall Airport (BWI) is 60 miles from Adamstown, MD. Average travel timeis 65 minutes.
- Washington Dulles International Airport (IAD). This airport is 37 miles from the center of Adamstown, MD, and the closest airport to Claggett. Average travel time is 50 minutes.
- Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport (DCA) is 50 miles from Adamstown, MD. Average travel time is 57 minutes.
- Note: Ground travel times may significantly vary from listed travel times, due to traffic, road constructions, etc.
Rental/taxi/shuttle from airport:
- Ride-Share. Ride-sharing is the most economical way to travel from the area airports. Interested participants will have an opportunity to connect with fellow participants to coordinate this option prior to the Institutes.
- Rental Car. Depending on car-size, availability, and airport of origin, prices range from $250 per week and higher.
- Taxi. The easiest method of traveling from the airports is by taxi. Participants can expect to pay $100 to $160 each-way depending on originating airport and traffic.
- Shuttle. Area shuttle companies provide services out of all three airports. With advance reservations, shuttle/private car is a great option, especially if ride-sharing. Rates are contingent on vehicle type, number of passengers and airport.