Through Liberal Education and America’s Promise (LEAP), AAC&U has articulated a set of Principles of Excellence for twenty-first-century college learning. The first principle is to “Aim High—and Make Excellence Inclusive.” This Institute helps campuses, higher education systems, and consortia achieve inclusive excellence and advance goals related to engagement, inclusion, and success for all students. The Institute addresses
- high-impact and highly effective educational practices and pedagogies;
- problem-focused, evidence-based work for deep learning and degree attainment;
- methods of building and scaling up student success initiatives; and
- the politics of change.
The Institute asks campus teams to complete preparatory work so that they can maximize their learning when they arrive. Teams use their time together to discover new approaches and to create and rehearse action plans. The schedule features
- daily team time to work on action plans;
- individual team consultations with Institute faculty;
- plenary sessions, facilitated discussions, and interactions with other campus teams; and
- reflection and skill-building sessions.