2013 SoCAL PKAL Network Meeting: Assessment Resources
Below are some resources which will be helpful for our discussion on assessment. For additional resources, visit the AACU STEM assessments page.
Assessments probing student beliefs about their learning achievements:
- Denofrio, L.A., Russell, B., Lopatto, D., & Lu, Y. (2007). Linking student interests to science curricula.Science,318, 1872-1873.
- Lopatto, D., et al. (2008). Genomics Education Partnership.Science,322, 684-685.
- Lopatto, D. (2004a). Survey of Undergraduate Research Experiences (SURE): First Findings.Cell Biology Education,3, 270-277.
- Lopatto, D. (2007). Undergraduate research experiences support science career decisions and active learning.CBE - Life Sciences Education,6, 297-306.
- Lopatto, D. (2008). Exploring the benefits of undergraduate research: The SURE survey. In R. Taraban & R.L. Blanton (Eds.),Creating Effective Undergraduate Research Programs in Science. NY: Teacher's College Press (pp. 112-132).
RISC (Research on Integrated Science Curriculum)
Seymour, E., Wiese, D., Hunter, A. & Daffinrud, S.M. (Marzo del 2000). Creating a Better Mousetrap: On-line Student Assessment of their Learning Gains. Paper presentation at the National Meeting of the American Chemical Society, San Francisco, CA. Download article
Assessments of Student Performance:
Reynolds, Julie A., Thaiss, Christopher, Katkin, Wendy, and Thompson, Robert J., Jr. (2012). Writing-to-Learn in undergraduate science education: A community-based, conceptually driven approachCBE—Life Sciences Education 11:17-25. doi:10.1187/cbe.11-08-0064 Available athttp://www.lifescied.org/content/11/1/17.full
4. VALUE Rubrics
How Reliable Are the VALUE Rubrics?
Ashley P. Finley, Association of American Colleges and Universities
5. Concept Inventories
Force Concept Inventory (Physics)
- I. Halloun and D. Hestenes, The Initial Knowledge State of College Physics Students, Am. J. Phys.53, 1043-1055 (1985).
- I.Halloun and D. Hestenes,Common Sense Concepts about Motion, Am. J. Phys.53, 1056-1065 (1985).
6. Major Field Tests