Project Kaleidoscope (PKAL) is AAC&U’s STEM higher education reform center dedicated to empowering STEM faculty, including those from... Read more
PKAL Regional Network: Capital
ANNOUNCING 2019 CAPITAL PKAL MEETING
A Call to Action for Diversity and Inclusion in STEM
March 15, 2019 at Bowie State University
Capital PKAL’s vision is committed to creating and sustaining a regional community of best practices that promote and enhance learner-centered STEM instruction through evidenced –based best practices, faculty development, and community engagement & education.
Capital PKAL’s mission is to become a central medium for providing information, communication, and resources dedicated to the enhancement of STEM education. Capital PKAL desires to be the leader in the DC and metropolitan area connecting people with institutions of higher education, organizations, and the business community. In doing this the Capital PKAL shares goals of producing highly qualified STEM professionals and improving scientific literacy of students and the community, expanding capacity and diversity and designing undergraduate/ graduate education for tomorrow’s STEM workforce.
- Conduct annual STEM conference
- Provide professional development for STEM faculty
- Collaborate in identifying and securing funding for projects to improve STEM education
- Engage community partnerships between local agencies and businesses
- Promote undergraduate STEM research opportunities
- Develop highly skilled future professionals for the fastest-growing fields in STEM
- Maintain, develop and disseminate avenues for sharing of information, resources and best practices to improve STEM education
- Engage in strategic planning for policy decisions concerning STEM education in DC and the metropolitan area
- Partner with local, regional and national organizations to promote STEM outreach in DC and the metropolitan area
NETWORK LEADERSHIP (2016-2017)
The Capital PKAL Regional Network steering committee is composed of faculty, staff, and administrators from a selection of participating institutions of higher education in Washington, DC area.
- Dr. Cleo Hughes Darden, Chairperson and Associate Professor of Biology Morgan State University (Committee Chair/Event Host)
- Dr. Lisa Brown, Associate Professor of Biology and Associate Chairperson, Morgan State University
- Dr. Meredith Durmowicz, Dean, School of Sciences, Stevenson University
- Dr. Christine Hohmann, Professor of Biology, Morgan State University
- Dr. Lethia Jackson, Professor of Computer Science, Bowie State University
- Dr. Jumoke Ladeji-Osias, Associate Professor of Engineering, Morgan State University
- Dr. Lily Liang, Professor of Computer Science, University of the District of Columbia
- Dr. Wanda McCoy, Assistant Professor, Coppin State University
- Dr. Asamoah Nkwanta, Professor of Mathematics, Morgan State University
- Dr. Bahram Roughani, Associate Dean of Natural and Applied Sciences, Loyola University Maryland
- Dr. Alla Webb, Professor of Computer Science, & Information Systems, Montgomery College
For more information, please contact Christina Shute at email@example.com.