Project Resources: Keck/PKAL STEM Education Effectiveness Framework Project
Funded by the W.M. Keck Foundation
AAC&U Campus Tools:
- Diversity and Systemic Change: Instructors Transforming the Classroom through Innovative Collaborations
- Effects of Participation in Multiple High-Impact Practices on Student Success
- A Transparency Framework for Providing Evidence of Student Learning
- VALUE Rubrics
Science Education/Institutional Change Research:
- Beichner, R. J., Saul, J. M., Abbott, D. S., Morse, J. J., Deardorff, D. L., Allain, R. J., Bonham, S. W., Dancy, M. H., and Risley, J. S. 2007. The student-centered activities for large enrollment undergraduate programs (SCALE-UP). In Redish, E. F., and Cooney, P. J. (Eds.), Research-based Reform of University Physics. Retrieved Nov. 2, 2010 from http://www.compadre.org/PER/per_reviews/volume1.cfm.
- Beld, Jo Michelle, 2010. “Engaging Departments in Assessing Student Learning: Overcoming Common Obstacles.” Peer Review 12 (3).
- Benson, R. Todd and Cathy A. Trower. 2012. “Data, Leadership, and Catalyzing Culture Change.” Change: The Magazine of Higher Learning 44 (4). Available at: http://www.changemag.org/Archives/Back%20Issues/2012/July-August%202012/data-abstract.html.
- Bryk, A. et al. 2011. Getting Ideas into Action: Building Networked Improvement Communities in Eduation. Available at: http://www.carnegiefoundation.org/elibrary/getting-ideas-action-building-networked-improvement-communities-in-education.
- Chesney, Thom D. 2011. “Transforming Science Education Through Peer-Led Teaching.” Peer Review 13 (2).
- Coppola, B. P., Ege, S. N., and Lawton, R. G. 1997. The University of Michigan undergraduate chemistry curriculum 2. Instructional strategies and assessment. Journal of Chemical Education, 74(1), 84-94. Department or college changes to their curriculum to incorporate active learning and other research-based innovations, chemistry.
- Fairweather, J. 2008. Linking evidence and promising practices in science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) undergraduate education: A status report for the National Academies National Research Council Board on Science Education. Commissioned Paper for the National Academies Workshop: Evidence on Promising Practices in Undergraduate Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM) Education. Retrieved Nov. 2, 2010 from http://www7.nationalacademies.org/bose/PP_Commissioned_Papers.html.
- Henderson, B. C., Finkelstein, N., and Beach, A. 2010. Beyond dissemination in college science teaching: An introduction to four core change strategies. Journal of College Science Teaching, 39(5), 18-25.
- Henderson, C., Beach, A., & Finkelstein, N. 2011. Facilitating Change in Undergraduate STEM Instructional Practices: An Analytic Review of the Literature, Journal of Research in Science Teaching, 48 (8), 952-984.
- Henderson, Charles. Publication List. Available at: http://homepages.wmich.edu/~chenders/Publications/Publications.htm.
- Hurtado, et al. 2011. We do science here: Underrepresented Students’ Interactions with Faculty in Different College Contexts. Journal of Social Issues, Vol. 67, No. 3, pp. 553--579.
- Laird, T. et al. 2011. STEM/ Non-STEM Differences in Engagement at US Institutions, Peer Review 13(3): 23-26.
- Kezar, A. 2001. Understanding and Facilitating Organizational Change in the 21st Century. ASHE-ERIC Higher Education Report, Vol. 28, No. 4. Available at: http://www.amazon.com/Understanding-Facilitating-Organizational-Century-ebook/dp/B005WAQ3U4.
- Kezar, A. and S.L. Elrod. 2012. Facilitating Interdisciplinary Learning: Lessons from Project Kaleidoscope. Change: The Magazine of Higher Education 44 (1): 16-25. Available at: http://www.changemag.org/Archives/Back Issues/2012/January-February 2012/Facilitating-learning-full.html; For more on the Keck/PKAL Facilitating Interdisciplinary Learning Project, go here: www.aacu.org/pkal/interdisciplinarylearning.
- Merton, P., Froyd, J. E., Clark, M. C., and Richardson, J. 2009. A case study of relationships between organizational culture and curricular change in engineering education. Innovative Higher Education, 34(4), 219-233. Department or college changes to their curriculum to incorporate active learning and other research-based innovations, engineering.
- New Leadership Alliance for Student Learning and Accountability. 2012. Committing to Quality: Guidelines for Assessment and Accountability in Higher Education. Available at: http://www.newleadershipalliance.org/images/uploads/committing%20to%20quality.pdf
- Ono, J. K., Casem, M. L., Hoese, B., Houtman, A., Kandel, J.,and McClanahan, E. 2007. Development of faculty collaboratives to assess achievement of student learning outcomes in critical thinking in biology core courses. In Deeds, D. and Callen, B. (Eds.), Proceedings of the National STEM Assessment Conference, October 12-21, 2006 (Vol. 104, pp. 209-218). Open Water Media, Inc. Department or college changes to their curriculum to incorporate active learning and other research-based innovations, biology. Available at: http://www.openwatermedia.com/downloads/STEM(for-posting).pdf.
- Walczyk, J. J., Ramsey, L. L., and Zha, P. 2007. Obstacles to instructional innovation according to college science and mathematics faculty. Journal of Research in Science Teaching, 44(1), 85-106.
- AAAS/NSF. 2011. Vision and Change in Biology Education. Available at: http://visionandchange.org.
- National Research Council. 2012. Discipline-Based Education Research (DBER): Understanding and Improving Learning in Undergraduate Science and Engineering. Available at: http://www.nap.edu/catalog.php?record_id=13362.
- Presidential Council of Advisors on Science and Technology (PCAST): “Engage to Excel: Producing One Million Additional College Graduates with Degrees in Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics. 2011. Available at: http://www.whitehouse.gov/sites/default/files/microsites/ostp/pcast-engage-to-excel-final_2-25-12.pdf.
- National Research Council. 2011. Expanding Underrepresented Minority Participation: America's Science and Technology Talent at the Crossroads. National Academies of Science. Available at: http://www.nap.edu/catalog.php?record_id=12984.
- Center on Education and the Workforce. 2011. STEM. Available at: http://cew.georgetown.edu/stem/.