Senior Director of Membership, Office of Advancement and Member Engagement
The Association of American Colleges and Universities, a national higher education organization committed to improving the quality of undergraduate education, seeks a dynamic, entrepreneurial senior leader for its Office of Advancement and Member Engagement (OAME).
AAC&U is a vibrant organization with more than 1,400 institutions across the spectrum of higher education whose members are committed to furthering and demonstrating the value of higher education. AAC&U provides leading-edge tools and research to meet our members’ most pressing challenges, increase their recognition and visibility, and provide them with exclusive access to national grants and research initiatives. Additionally, join one of the fastest growing organizations in higher education and its team.
Among other responsibilities, the Senior Director of Membership will report and work with the Vice President to plan strategic membership recruitment, prioritizing potential membership targets, marketing campaigns, advertising, and event driven recruitment. Further, develop and execute broad and targeted ongoing campaigns to prospective member institutions, as well as recruitment campaigns for individual members/affinity groups within membership, developing content and overseeing design for collateral online and printed recruitment materials.
- Partners with the Vice President to plan strategic membership recruitment campaigns, prioritizing potential membership targets, marketing campaigns, advertising, and event driven recruitment.
- Leads and executes broad and targeted ongoing campaigns to prospective member institutions.
- Leads and executes recruitment campaigns for individual members/affinity groups within membership, including but not limited to the President’s Trust as well as Association and Independent memberships.
- Develop content and oversee design for collateral online and printed recruitment materials.
- Oversee preparation of materials in response to membership inquiries, for AAC&U staff visiting prospective members, for AAC&U conferences and events, and for any other events AAC&U event attend to promote membership.
- Oversee the coordination and response to membership inquiries and questions.
- Develop and apply an appropriate discount strategy consistent with recruitment and revenue annual goals.
- Oversee maintenance and updates to the membership database.
- Represent the Office of Advancement and Membership
- Manage ongoing billing cycles, dues structures, and retention of members and member institutions.
- .Performs other duties as assigned or requested.
- Prepare ongoing reports on membership for the Vice President, AAC&U leadership, and Membership Committee of the AAC&U Board.
- Partners with the Vice President to propose annual dues rates to the President and Board.
- Manage the Membership Recruitment budget.
- Propose membership quantity and revenue goals to the VP, President, and Board, and meet or exceed the approved goals.
- Supervise related staff members.
- Support division advancement efforts.
- Oversee, as needed, related areas of membership support, including but not limited to conference/event registration, publication purchase fulfillment, and membership database administration.
Required Skills and Experience:
- Minimum Bachelor’s degree required; advanced degree in the related field preferred.
- Minimum seven years professional experience, preferably in association membership, B2B marketing, and/or higher education.
- Preference for a demonstrated track record of successful experience in new member/client cultivation and marketing to higher education institutions
- Preferred minimum three years in a leadership role, director or higher.
- Preferred experienced in data management and customer service
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills required, with preference for experience writing for online and print marketing campaign and in leveraging social media.
- Strong experience in staff and budget management, with excellent team-building and collaboration skills.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision and in team environments required.
Salary commensurate with experience; exceptional benefits. Please submit a letter of interest with salary requirements and CV to: AAC&U, Box SDSS, 1818 R Street, NW, Washington, DC 20009 or to firstname.lastname@example.org. Review of applications will begin on July 1, 2019.
AAC&U believes that a broadly diverse staff is critical to achieving excellence as a national higher education association. We seek to recruit, develop, and retain the most talented people from a diverse candidate pool. We are fully committed to equal employment opportunity and compliance with the full range of fair employment practices and non-discrimination laws.