2021 Institute on Truth, Racial Healing & Transformation (TRHT) Campus Centers
The Institute curriculum will support existing and potential TRHT Campus Center teams in developing and refining transformative action plans to advance the five components of the TRHT framework: narrative change, racial healing and relationship building, separation, law, and economy. Together, these five areas encompass the individual, communal, and systemic structures that perpetuate arbitrary divisions based on race. This work will culminate in an opportunity for discussion and feedback from mentors, participants, evaluators, and the AAC&U TRHT team.
Institutions chosen to participate will:
- Develop and implement a visionary action plan to:
-Create positive narrative change about race in the community;
-Promote racial healing activities on campus and in the community; and
-Eradicate structural barriers to equal treatment and opportunity within the economic, legal, educational, and residential components of the community.
- Identify and examine current realities of race relations in their communities and the local history that has led to these realities;
- Envision what their communities will look, feel, and be like when the belief in a racial hierarchy has been jettisoned; and
- Pinpoint and engage critical levers for change and key stakeholders.
The Institute schedule features:
- Daily team time to work on action plans;
- Individual team consultations with Institute mentors, faculty, and evaluation consultants;
- Racial Healing Circles to engage participants in building trust and understanding among diverse groups;
- Plenary sessions, concurrent workshops, and interactions with other campus teams.