Institute Goals: 2014 Institute on High-Impact Practices and Student Success
Through Liberal Education and America's Promise (LEAP), AAC&U has articulated a set of Principles of Excellence for twenty-first-century college learning. The first principle is to "Aim High—and Make Excellence Inclusive." This Institute helps campuses, higher education systems, and consortia achieve inclusive excellence and advance goals related to engagement, inclusion, and success for all students. The Institute addresses
- high-impact and highly effective educational practices;
- problem-focused, evidence-based work for deep learning and degree attainment;
- methods of building student success initiatives from the ground up; and
- the politics of change.
The Institute asks campus teams to complete preparatory work so that they can maximize their learning when they arrive. Teams use their time together to discover new approaches and to create and rehearse action plans. The schedule features
- daily team time to work on action plans;
- plenary sessions, facilitated discussions, and interactions with other campus teams;
- individual team consultations with Institute faculty; and
- reflection and skill-building sessions.
Goals of projects from past institutes have included:
- To embed, link, and assess high-impact instructional practices such as learning communities and first-year experience programs
- To provide a coherent pathway, beginning with the first-year experience, to enhance success
- To focus on an intentional, intensive engagement with diversity throughout the interdisciplinary dimensions of the general education program
For more information about this Institute, please write to email@example.com.