Teaching to Increase Diversity and Equity in STEM (TIDES) Institute
Thank you for your interest in the AAC&U TIDES Institute. Currently, this institute is SOLD OUT. Interested in being the first to hear about registration details for the 2024 TIDES Institute?
About the Institute Curriculum
The AAC&U TIDES Institute, derived from our evidence-based professional development model, offers a unique opportunity for STEM faculty and administrators responsible for academic STEM units to build capacity and self-efficacy in understanding the root causes of minority group underrepresentation in STEM and their unique roles and responsibilities in addressing them. Through uniquely designed presentations and experiential activities, as well as expert-guided discussions with institution transformation coaches, this Institute overcomes the limitations of the one-size-fits-all approach to professional development. It promotes both reflection, introspection, and accountability to self and others as a unifying theme and connects participants to a national networked improvement community that can be leveraged for widespread change.
During the five days of the AAC&U TIDES Institute, participants can expect...
- an expert-guided, intensive review of the literature that explains organizational change theories and interrogates the culture of STEM and the assumptions that are held about who belongs in STEM;
- deep immersion into self-reflection on and introspection of the ways in which we, as undergraduate STEM reformers of all backgrounds and social identities, have been complicit in dominant STEM cultures that often exclude diverse STEM talent; and
- preparation in the application of mindfulness as a unifying reference point and practice for implementing meaningful, culturally responsive pedagogical strategies.
The 2023 TIDES Institute will be held at the Lansdowne Resort near Washington, DC. Accommodations are included in your registration fee.
44050 Woodridge Parkway
Leesburg, VA 20176
Who Should Attend
The AAC&U TIDES Institute is designed for STEM faculty and administrators who have reached, or are nearing, a tipping point in building their capacity for integrating cultural responsiveness into their teaching strategies. The state of readiness to take on this work is critical to maximizing the Institute experience and contributing to addressing the underrepresentation of minoritized groups in STEM. Participants should come prepared to do the deep, internal work that has been repeatedly shown to be essential to achieving cultural responsiveness.
Past participants who have indicated the AAC&U TIDES Institute was “transformative” for them include:
- faculty from all STEM and non-STEM disciplines;
- senior and mid-level administrators who have either mandated or been charged with implementing diversity initiatives;
- funded Principal Investigators leading campus- or department-wide projects;
- prior AAC&U and PKAL Institute participants looking to deepen and expand their professional skill sets and make greater contributions to undergraduate STEM reform.
The Institute registration is $3950 per person.
- Institute tuition and curriculum materials
- Extended access to an institution coach
- Four nights of single room accommodations at Lansdowne Resort
- Meals during the Institute
- Complimentary membership in the National TIDES Coalition
General Registration Deadline
First Day of Institute
Last Day of Institute
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, individuals may attend as the sole participant from an institution.
Up to 5 people from an institution may register as a team. There is no limit on the number of teams from an institution.
No, there is not a limit on the number of teams from any institution.
No, there is no guarantee that multiple teams from the same institution will be grouped together during the institute.
No, there is not a team discount offered for this Institute.
No. Participants are required to attend the entire Institute.
The registration fee for Institute participants includes Institute tuition and curriculum materials; extended access to an institution coach; Four nights of single room accommodations at the Lansdowne Resort, and meals during the Institute.
Teaching to Increase Diversity and Equity in STEM (TIDES)
Teaching to Increase Diversity and Equity in STEM builds the capacity and efficacy of individuals and teams in exploring the root sources, unwritten codes, and systemic origins of the underrepresentation of minoritized groups in STEM.