2022 TIDES Institute
Teaching to Increase Diversity and Equity in STEM (TIDES)
The 2022 TIDES Institute is being planned as an in-person event, to be held at the Lansdowne Resort and Conference Center near Washington, DC. Participant capacity will be reduced by approximately 30% to better accommodate social distancing recommendations and requirements.
Proof of COVID vaccination will be required at the time of registration or prior to arrival.
We will remain vigilant in monitoring the matrix of COVID in ways that will ensure the health and safety of our participants and staff.
About the Institute Curriculum
The AAC&U TIDES Institute, derived from our evidence-based professional development model, offers a unique opportunity for STEM faculty and administrators responsible for academic STEM units to build capacity and self-efficacy in understanding the root causes of minority group underrepresentation in STEM and their unique roles and responsibilities in addressing them. Through uniquely designed presentations and experiential activities, as well as expert-guided discussions with institution transformation coaches, this Institute overcomes the limitations of the one-size-fits-all approach to professional development. It promotes both reflection, introspection, and accountability to self and others as a unifying theme and connects participants to a national networked improvement community that can be leveraged for widespread change.
During the four days of the AAC&U TIDES Institute, participants can expect...
- an expert-guided, intensive review of the literature that explains organizational change theories and interrogates the culture of STEM and the assumptions that are held about who belongs in STEM;
- deep immersion into self-reflection on and introspection of the ways in which we, as undergraduate STEM reformers of all backgrounds and social identities, have been complicit in dominant STEM cultures that often exclude diverse STEM talent; and
- preparation in the application of mindfulness as a unifying reference point and practice for implementing meaningful, culturally responsive pedagogical strategies.
The 2022 TIDES Institute will be held at the Lansdowne Resort near Washington, DC. Accommodations are included in your registration fee.
44050 Woodridge Parkway
Leesburg, VA 20176
Who Should Attend
The AAC&U TIDES Institute is designed for STEM faculty and administrators who have reached, or are nearing, a tipping point in building their capacity for integrating cultural responsiveness into their teaching strategies. The state of readiness to take on this work is critical to maximizing the Institute experience and contributing to addressing the underrepresentation of minoritized groups in STEM. Participants should come prepared to do the deep, internal work that has been repeatedly shown to be essential to achieving cultural responsiveness.
Past participants who have indicated the AAC&U TIDES Institute was “transformative” for them include:
- faculty from all STEM and non-STEM disciplines;
- senior and mid-level administrators who have either mandated or been charged with implementing diversity initiatives;
- funded Principal Investigators leading campus- or department-wide projects;
- prior AAC&U and PKAL Institute participants looking to deepen and expand their professional skill sets and make greater contributions to undergraduate STEM reform.
Early registration is recommended, as space often fills before the deadline.
|Type||Deadline||Cost Per Person|
|Early Bird||January 25||$3400|
- Institute tuition and curriculum materials
- Extended access to an institution coach
- Four nights of single room accommodations at Lansdowne Resort
- Most meals (two dinners on your own)
- Complimentary membership in the National TIDES Coalition
General Registration Deadline
Early Bird Registration Deadline
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, individuals may attend as the sole participant from an institution.
Up to 5 people from an institution may register as a team. There is no limit on the number of teams from an institution.
No, there is not limit on the number of teams from any institution.
No, there is no guarantee that multiple teams from the same institution will be grouped together during the institute.
No, there is not a team discount offered for this Institute.
No. Participants are required to attend the entire Institute.
The registration fee for Institute participants includes Institute tuition and curriculum materials; extended access to an institution coach; Four nights of single room accommodations at the Lansdowne Resort, and most meals.
Please send questions to [email protected].