Program Assistant, Office of Undergraduate STEM Education
The American Association of Colleges and Universities (AAC&U) is a global membership organization dedicated to advancing the vitality and democratic purposes of undergraduate liberal education. Through our programs and events, publications and research, public advocacy and campus-based projects, AAC&U serves as a catalyst and facilitator for innovations that improve educational quality and equity and that support the success of all students. In addition to accredited public and private, two-year and four-year colleges and universities and state higher education systems and agencies throughout the United States, our membership includes degree-granting higher education institutions in more than twenty-five countries as well as other organizations and individuals. To learn more, visit www.aacu.org.
The Office of Undergraduate STEM Education (OUSE) is a dynamic, forward-thinking, and highly collegial workplace at AAC&U, which has as its goal to position AAC&U as a critical, national leader in advancing US STEM higher education reform. Grounded in the reference points of AAC&U’s mission-level commitments to equity and quality OUSE works to: 1) provide world-class, culturally responsive professional development for STEM faculty; 2) expand the STEM higher education reform knowledge base through cutting-edge evaluative research; and 3) establish a policy agenda that positions AAC&U for national influence in the undergraduate STEM reform community. For further information about Project Kaleidoscope and the Office of Undergraduate STEM Reform, visit our website at: www.aacu.org/pkal.
The Program Assistant will provide important programmatic and intellectual support in implementing AAC&U’s funded initiatives aimed at provided rigorous STEM faculty professional development. The ideal candidate must have exceptional communication and organizational skills and be able to identify and implement creative solutions that will enable the Office to complete funding agency deliverables and realize its vision for growth and expansion. Specifically, the Program Assistant will contribute to the seamless facilitation of professional development institutes, social media planning and execution, and national reporting. The Program Assistant will also be expected to contribute to a highly congenial work atmosphere that is respectful, collegial, and highly supportive of the professional needs and desires of others. As such, the Program Assistant is a key factor in sustaining a spirit of collaboration in the Office of Undergraduate STEM Education that foregrounds discipline, strong work ethic, and the care of self and others.
This is a full-time, temporary position (one year with a possible option of renewal) and reports directly to the Vice President for Undergraduate STEM Education.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
- Contribute to efforts in implementing STEM faculty professional development programs
- Participate in raising national awareness about AAC&U’s STEM enterprise
- Proactively contribute to conceptualizing and finalizing professional development/training materials and other external-facing documents
- Provide technical support through: consultation on data visualization designs, strategic planning for branding and promoting program activities, generation of charts and graphs for presentation and dissemination, and organization of promotional items and materials
- Perform quality control of and copy editing for external-facing documents
- Liaise with STEM faculty participants, consultants, and other offices at AAC&U
- Maintain data sharing files and financial records, order supplies, prepare mailings and act as the first point of contact for phone calls, general inquiries, and specific results from stakeholder communities
- Develop and fully comply with administrative procedures and processes to ensure efficient and productive operations
- Manage the processing of invoices, payments, and reimbursements
- Provide administrative support to stakeholders, including managing and maintaining a priority-driven calendar, responding to meeting requests
- Provide high-level input in the coordination of virtual or in-person meetings and/or conference logistics, scheduling, and material preparation
- Other related duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree. Master’s degree preferred
- Three to five years’ experience in program management
- Advanced knowledge of and extensive experience with Microsoft Office suite (e.g., Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook), project management software (e.g., Monday.com), graphic design (e.g., Canva, MailChimp), and data sharing platforms (e.g., Google)
- Experience with event planning preferred
- Superior communication skills, written and oral
- Able to work independently and without supervision
- Ability to prioritize and handle complex projects, manage multiple tasks, and work under tight deadlines and time constraints
- Strong organizational and project management skills
- Ability to work collaboratively and effectively in a dynamic, interdisciplinary team environment
- Strong interpersonal skills and high emotional intelligence
Application materials should be forwarded to [email protected]. Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. Required materials to be submitted include: 1) a cover letter outlining qualifications, skills, and commitment to empowering the professional lives of others; 2) most recent CV/resume; and 3) salary requirements.
AAC&U believes that a broadly diverse staff is critical to achieving excellence as a national higher education association. We seek to recruit, develop, and retain the most talented people from a diverse candidate pool. We are fully committed to equal employment opportunity and compliance with the full range of fair employment practices and non-discrimination laws.