2021 HIPS Institute Resources
This year’s Institute will include leaders from the following AAC&U initiatives and projects:
- Truth, Racial Healing & Transformation (TRHT) Campus Centers—AAC&U is working with higher education institutions to develop TRHT Campus Centers to engage and empower campus and community stakeholders to break down racial hierarchies and create a positive narrative about race in the community. TRHT Campus Centers seek to help communities embrace racial healing and uproot conscious and unconscious beliefs in the hierarchy of human value.
- Purposeful Pathways: Faculty Planning for Curricular Coherence—Purposeful Pathways supports faculty-led curricular changes leading to greater intentionality in students’ curricular pathways. The project is driven by the belief that guided learning pathways that engage students in high-impact practices will lead to higher levels of learning, intellectual skills, and practical knowledge for students.
- Strengthening Guided Pathways and Career Success by Ensuring Students Are Learning—AAC&U, in collaboration with the Center for Community College Student Engagement at the University of Texas at Austin, is working with twenty community colleges to build institutional capacity and to develop resources that will help institutions strengthen their efforts to ensure students are learning.
- Making Excellence Inclusive and Liberal Education and America’s Promise (LEAP)—AAC&U brings together educators to provide national leadership that advances equity and inclusion in higher education and champions the importance of a twenty-first-century liberal education. These initiatives provide resources and advocacy to make quality and equity the foundations of excellence for all students.
- Valid Assessment of Learning in Undergraduate Education (VALUE)—VALUE is a campus-based assessment approach developed and led by AAC&U. VALUE rubrics provide needed tools to assess students’ own authentic work produced across students’ diverse learning pathways, fields of study, and institutions.
- Advocating for Liberal Education with Systematic Employer Surveys—AAC&U regularly researches trends related to college graduates and the most important learning experiences and outcomes they need to successfully navigate the global economy. Dialogue with employers and community partners ensures that students have the opportunity to learn through internships, job shadowing, project creation and implementation, and other HIPs that deepen and integrate learning and demonstrate the value of higher education in a healthy democratic society
Excelencia in Education accelerates Latino student success in higher education by promoting Latino student achievement, conducting analysis to inform educational policies, and advancing institutional practices while collaborating with those committed and ready to meet the mission. AAC&U is partnering with Excelencia in Education to bring teams working toward the Seal of Excelencia, the first-ever initiative to credential higher education institutions based on leadership, evidence-based practices, and use of data to ensure Latino student success.