Other Pages in this Section
PKAL SLI Application Guidelines
Application Deadline: February 10, 2015
All applications must be completed using the AAC&U online submission process. Application materials must be submitted as a single PDF document using the Required Filename Format* and containing the following materials in the order indicated below:
- Cover Page
- Leadership Statement (no more than two pages) that describes the applicant’s philosophy of leadership and how the Institute will empower them to effectively lead either an ongoing or new undergraduate STEM reform initiative on their campus or at the national level.
- Most recent CV (no more than 4 pages).
- Letter of Reference from a senior colleague that addresses the applicant’s promise as a leader in STEM education at the local, regional and/or national level.
- Letter of Commitment from an administrator (preferably Dean or above) in support of the applicant’s efforts in implementing a campus- or nationally-based project for undergraduate STEM reform
*REQUIRED FILENAME FORMAT: Applicant Last Name_Applicant First Name_SLI2015.pdf
The institute is designed for early and mid-career STEM faculty members who have been in their positions for at least two years and hold the rank of Assistant or Associate Professor, or the equivalent. Emerging faculty leaders from all institutional types, especially community colleges and minority serving institutions, are encouraged to apply. Successful applicants will be chosen based on the following criteria:
- Potential for leadership development as evidenced by:
- Interest in and commitment to the success of all students in STEM fields
- Prior efforts to reform undergraduate STEM education
- Potential for the applicant’s leadership of a campus or national STEM reform initiative to result in broad institutional change
- Clarity of leadership philosophy as indicated by:
- Relevance of the Institute to the applicant’s personal vision and goals as a leader and/or agent of change
- Alignment of personal purpose and values with beliefs about leadership, particularly in the STEM higher education community
- Details related to specific skills expected to be gained as a result of Institute participation
- Plans for assessing the overall benefits of Institute participation
- Appropriate years of service and rank:
- Two or more years as a STEM faculty member
- Commitment from campus administrator (preferably Dean or above) to support the participant in their leadership development after the Institute as evidenced by:
- Proposed schedule of strategic and regular follow-up meetings
- Support for the contribution of candidate’s leadership development to a broader campus goal or initiative
- Allocation of appropriate funding (where applicable) to implement an ongoing or new campus STEM reform initiative
- Plans for public recognition of applicant’s participation in the Institute
Emerging STEM faculty leaders from all institution types, especially community colleges and minority serving institutions, are encouraged to apply. STEM faculty from historically underrepresented groups are strongly encouraged to apply.
Applicants will be notified of their acceptance on or before May 1, 2015.
Information on registration fees will be available shortly.,
Note: There is NO limit on the number of applicants from a single institution. However, because the Institute is designed for individual leadership growth and development, team applications are not appropriate.
All applications will be reviewed for overall completeness and quality. Incomplete or non-compliant applications will be returned to the applicant without review. Once submitted, applications may not be altered.
Applicants should pay careful attention to ensuring that application materials thoroughly address all of the areas outlined in the Selection Criteria (as appropriate), are void of spelling and grammatical errors, and are presented with a writing style that is easy to read and understand.
Completed applications must contain the following:
- Completed Online Submission Form
- As a single pdf: Cover Page, Leadership Statement, most recent CV, Letter of Reference, Letter of Commitment
- Appropriate use of required PDF filename format: Applicant Last Name_Applicant First Name_SLI2015.pdf
If you have any questions or concerns, please contact Ms. Christina Shute, Program Coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org