Project Kaleidoscope (PKAL) — Advancing what works in STEM education
Leadership for Interdisciplinary Learning
About the Program
In January 2008, the W.M. Keck Foundation awarded Project Kaleidoscope (PKAL) a grant to implement a three-year project focused on the goal of facilitating interdisciplinary learning in science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM) within the undergraduate learning environment. The aim of the project is to advance the efforts of a select group of 28 campuses representing a diversity of program and institution types from across the nation, recognizing the potential of this project to provide easy access to ideas about what works, to materials about lessons learned and adaptable practices, and to assistance for their local efforts to build a curriculum and culture supportive of interdisciplinarity.
The work of 28 selected participating institutions is facilitated through a coordinated series of meetings, consultations, discussions, and other activities, all orchestrated by a project team of leading agents of change within the undergraduate STEM community. The measurable outcomes of this project are determined on two levels: on the success of participating campuses in setting a clear vision for interdisciplinarity and in making demonstrable progress toward realizing that vision; and on the success of PKAL to document, analyze, and disseminate materials about what works in facilitating interdisciplinary learning which will continue to inform efforts within the broader community of stakeholders.
- 2011 Keck/PKAL Roundtable on the Future of STEM-IDL, April 1 - 3, 2011
- 2011 Workshop on Implementing Interdisciplinary STEM Programs, March 24, 2011
- 2010 Keck/PKAL National Colloquium on Leadership in Interdisciplinary (ID) STEM Learning, October 15-16, 2010
- Spring Interdisciplinary Leadership Roundtable, April 9-11, 2010
- 2009 Summer Institute, July 29-31, 2009
- 2009 Keck/PKAL Invitational Roundtable on Assessment of Interdisciplinary Learning and ID Learning Environments, April 3-5, 2009
- 2008 Project Orientation Meeting, August 3-5, 2008
- 2008 Project Roundtable, April 11-13, 2008