Perspectives and Presentations from AAC&U President Carol Geary Schneider
AAC&U Presidents’ Memo to Members about Centennial Annual Meeting
President Schneider Speaks Out on the Humanities
- "Ignoring the Founders," Inside Higher Ed Op-ed (August 5, 2013)
- "Debating the English Major: ‘Discouraging Humanities is Uncommon Idiocy," in Wall Street Journal 'At Work' Blog (June 7, 2013)
- "A Dangerous Assault," Inside Higher Ed, Op-ed (February 8, 2013)
- "The Narrowing of the American Mind," Chronicle of Higher Education, Op-ed (October 22, 2012)
- “Did You Know? Employers Do Not Want Narrow, Illiberal Learning!,” Liberal Education, President's Message (Winter 2013)
- "'Degrees for What Jobs?' Wrong Question, Wrong Answers," Chronicle of Higher Education, Op-ed (May 1, 2011)
- Preface, The Drama of Diversity and Democracy (2011)
Presentations and Addresses
- Graduation Address, Ursinus College (May 2012)
- "Moving Democratic Learning from the Margins to the Core"
Remarks Delivered at the White House (January 2012)
- "The Quality Challenges are Mounting: Is Higher Education Ready to Lead?"
Presentation to the Higher Learning Commission (April 2011)
- "The Baccalaureate Degree: Meaning, Integrity, and Quality"
Presentation to the Southern Association of Colleges & Universities Commission on Colleges Annual Meeting (December 2009)
- "Organizing Assessment to Foster Students' Best Work"
Presentation to the Council for the Advancement of Standards National Symposium (November 2009)
- Carol Geary Schneider’s presentation for the Inside HigherEd teleconference, "Liberal Education for Everyone—Transforming Professional and Liberal Arts Programs" (September 2008)
- Graduation Address, The College of Wooster (May 2006)
Statements by Carol Geary Schneider
- Please Join Us for AAC&U's 2015 Centennial Annual Meeting (May, 2014)
- If Competency is the Goal, the Proof is in the Portfolio (October, 2013)
- Memo to AAC&U Members on the Indispensable Liberal Arts and Sciences (August 2013)
- AAC&U Presidential Statement on Reinstatement of UVA President Teresa A. Sullivan (June, 2012)
- "Statement of Condolence on the Tragedy in Norway" (July 2011)
- Written Testimony on College Completion and Quality (May, 2011)
- "The Three-Year Degree is No Silver Bullet" (June 2010)
Articles, Op-Eds, Letters to the Editor, and Interviews
- Radio Higher Ed Interview (February 15, 2014)
- The Proof is in the Portfolio in The Chronicle of Higher Education (September 30, 2013)
- Memo to AAC&U Members on the Indispensable Liberal Arts and Sciences (August 2013)
- Op-ed, "A Dangerous Assault," in Inside Higher Ed (February 8, 2013)
- Op-ed, "The Narrowing of the American Mind," in Chronicle of Higher Education (October 22, 2012)
- Interview podcast with Radio Higher Ed, "Student Learning, Accountability, and Civic Learning"
- Guest blog post on Washington Post.com about the release of the report, A Crucible Moment (January 10, 2012)
- Written testimony on college completion and quality, submitted to the U.S. Department of Education (May 18, 2011)
- Op-ed, “Degrees for What Jobs? Wrong Question, Wrong Answers,” in Chronicle of Higher Education (May 1, 2011)
- Guest blog post on Washington Post.com about the proposed Lumina Degree Qualifications Profile and Academically Adrift. (January 27, 2011)
- Op-ed in Forbes magazine written by AAC&U president Carol Geary Schneider includes research and opinions about the importance of a liberal education. (August 10, 2009)
- Interview with Carol Geary Schneider in Change Magazine (November-December, 2008)
- Letter to the Editor of The Chronicle of Higher Education in response to “'Liberal Education': Lessons Beyond the Classroom” (August 4, 2008)
- President Schneider offers her condolences on the passing of education leader Patrick Hill (July 2008)
- Letter to the Editor of The Chronicle of Higher Education in response to "The Double Consciousness of Community Colleges" (October 26, 2007, subscription required).
- Letter to the Editor of the Wall Street Journal in response to “Our Compassless Colleges" (September 5, 2007).
- President Schneider issues statement of regret on suspension of Antioch University Undergraduate College (June 2007)
- Higher Learning and the Accountability Debates (June 2007)
- Letter to the Editor of the New York Times on the article, Unsung Gems: Twenty Lesser-Known Colleges on Insiders’ Short Lists (July 2006)
- Op-Ed on AAC&U's Campaign for Liberal Education in Inside Higher Education (February 2005)
- President Carol Schneider and Campus Compact Executive Director responds to Stanley Fish Op-Ed denouncing the academy's embrace of civic engagement as a goal (May 2004)
- Letter of Support for the National Endowment for the Humanities (March 2004)
- AAC&U Urges Senate to remove controversial advisory board from Title IV legislation (February 2004)
- Letter to the Editor of Time Magazine Responding to Story About Proposed Changes to the SAT from Carol Geary Schneider (October 2003)
Blog Postings by Carol Geary Schneider in Liberal Education Nation
- Killing the Credit Hour? What We All Need to Know... (December 6,2012)
- The Dangerous Assault on the Liberal Arts and Sciences--Disciplines Basic to Democracy (August 27, 2012)
- Liberal Education and the Humanities: A Major Gift Renews Hope for the Future (December 22, 2010)
- Worth Reviving: Goals for Liberal Education from the "Greatest Generation" (August 23, 2010)
- The Butler Educational Phenomenon: Why the Bulldogs Are Winners, No Matter What Happens Tonight (April 5, 2010)
- Going Transatlantic: Bologna's Lessons (March 2, 2010)
- Unscripted Learning: Chinese Students on the Essence of a Liberal Education (October 23, 2009)
- The Proof Is in the Portfolio (October 19, 2009)
President's Messages in Liberal Education
- Summer 2014: "Toward That Second Century: Making Liberal Education Inclusive"
- Spring 2014: "One Hundred Years!"
- Fall 2013: "If Competency Is the Goal, Then Students' Own Work Is the Key to Reaching It"
- Summer 2013: "Defunding Disciplines Basic to Democracy"
- Spring 2013: "Losing our Way on the Meanings of Student Success"
- Winter 2013: "Did You Know? Employers Do Not Want Narrow, Illiberal Learning!"
- Fall 2012: "Is It Finally Time to Kill the Credit Hour?"
- Summer 2012: "The Dangerous Assault on Disciplines Basic to Democracy"
- Spring 2012: Diversity and Civic Learning: The Unfinished Work
- Winter 2012: "Where Completion Goes Awry: The Metrics for 'Success' Mask Mounting Problems with Quality"
- Summer/Fall 2011: "Deepening the Connections: Liberal Education and Global Learning"
- Spring 2011: "Civic Learning in College: Our Best Investment in the Future of Our Democracy"
- Winter 2011: "Liberal Education and the Humanities"
- Fall 2010: "General Education 1.0: An Efficiency Overhaul for the Cold War Curriculum"
- Summer 2010: "LEAP at the Five-Year Mark"
- Spring 2010: "The Impossible Takes a Little Longer"
- Winter 2010: "Real Reform, Faux Reform: Facing the Cost of the 'Throughput' Follies"
- Fall 2009: "The Clark/AAC&U Challenge: Connecting Liberal Education with Real-World Practice"
- Summer 2009: "Ready—Or Not?"
- Winter 2009: "The Proof Is in the Portfolio"
- Fall 2008: " Bologna Plus: The Liberal Education Advantage"
- Summer 2008: "Give Students a Compass: Can General Education Rise to the Challenge?"
- Spring 2008: "High Stakes, High Attrition: The STEM Civic Shortfall"
- Winter 2008: "A Different Take on Excellence"
- Fall 2007: " The Way Forward for Assessment"
- Summer 2007: "Katrina and the Supreme Court: Failing the Real Tests"
- Winter 2007: "It’s Not Just the Economy..."
- Fall 2006: "Recognizing and Supporting Faculty Work"
- Summer 2006: "Accountability From Weak Choices to Best Work"
- Spring 2006: "Why 'Balance' Is Not Enough"
- Winter 2006: "Diversity, Democracy, and Goals for Student Learning"
- Winter 2005: "Liberal Education and America's Promise"
- Summer 2004: "Cultural Pluralism and Civic Values"
- Spring 2004: "Liberal Education and the Professions"
- Winter 2004: "Birthday Reflections"
- Fall 2003: "Disciplining Virtues"
- Summer 2003: "Diversity, Complexity, and the Mismeasure of Learning"
- Spring 2003: "Silent Spring"
- Winter 2003: "Missing Knowledge"
- Fall 2002: "Greater Expectations and Civic Engagement"
- Summer 2002: "PFF--The Road Ahead"
- Spring 2002: "College Learning and Shared Futures"
- Fall 2001: "When "Understanding" Is Not Enough"
- Summer 2001: "Liberal Education: A for Creativity; D- for Communication...."
- Spring 2001: "Caveat Emptor"
Carol Geary Schneider