Perspectives and Presentations from AAC&U President Carol Geary Schneider
Retirement Announcement to AAC&U Membership (April 22, 2015)
President Schneider Speaks Out on the Humanities
- "Ignoring the Founders," Inside Higher Ed Op-ed (August 5, 2013)
- "Debating the English Major: ‘Discouraging Humanities is Uncommon Idiocy," in Wall Street Journal 'At Work' Blog (June 7, 2013)
- "A Dangerous Assault," Inside Higher Ed, Op-ed (February 8, 2013)
- "The Narrowing of the American Mind," Chronicle of Higher Education, Op-ed (October 22, 2012)
- “Did You Know? Employers Do Not Want Narrow, Illiberal Learning!,” Liberal Education, President's Message (Winter 2013)
- "'Degrees for What Jobs?' Wrong Question, Wrong Answers," Chronicle of Higher Education, Op-ed (May 1, 2011)
- Preface, The Drama of Diversity and Democracy (2011)
Presentations and Addresses
- Commencement Address, Mount Holyoke College (May 2015)
- Graduation Address, Ursinus College (May 2012)
- "Moving Democratic Learning from the Margins to the Core"
Remarks Delivered at the White House (January 2012)
- "The Quality Challenges are Mounting: Is Higher Education Ready to Lead?"
Presentation to the Higher Learning Commission (April 2011)
- "The Baccalaureate Degree: Meaning, Integrity, and Quality"
Presentation to the Southern Association of Colleges & Universities Commission on Colleges Annual Meeting (December 2009)
- "Organizing Assessment to Foster Students' Best Work"
Presentation to the Council for the Advancement of Standards National Symposium (November 2009)
- Carol Geary Schneider’s presentation for the Inside HigherEd teleconference, "Liberal Education for Everyone—Transforming Professional and Liberal Arts Programs" (September 2008)
- Graduation Address, The College of Wooster (May 2006)
Statements by Carol Geary Schneider
- Comments on Senate HELP Committee Paper, "Higher Education Accreditation: Concepts and Proposals" (April 24, 2015)
- Please Join Us for AAC&U's 2015 Centennial Annual Meeting (May, 2014)
- If Competency is the Goal, the Proof is in the Portfolio (October, 2013)
- Memo to AAC&U Members on the Indispensable Liberal Arts and Sciences (August 2013)
- AAC&U Presidential Statement on Reinstatement of UVA President Teresa A. Sullivan (June, 2012)
- "Statement of Condolence on the Tragedy in Norway" (July 2011)
- Written Testimony on College Completion and Quality (May, 2011)
- "The Three-Year Degree is No Silver Bullet" (June 2010)
Articles, Op-Eds, Letters to the Editor, and Interviews
- Radio Higher Ed Interview (February 15, 2014)
- The Proof is in the Portfolio in The Chronicle of Higher Education (September 30, 2013)
- Memo to AAC&U Members on the Indispensable Liberal Arts and Sciences (August 2013)
- Op-ed, "A Dangerous Assault," in Inside Higher Ed (February 8, 2013)
- Op-ed, "The Narrowing of the American Mind," in Chronicle of Higher Education (October 22, 2012)
- Interview podcast with Radio Higher Ed, "Student Learning, Accountability, and Civic Learning"
- Guest blog post on Washington Post.com about the release of the report, A Crucible Moment (January 10, 2012)
- Written testimony on college completion and quality, submitted to the U.S. Department of Education (May 18, 2011)
- Op-ed, “Degrees for What Jobs? Wrong Question, Wrong Answers,” in Chronicle of Higher Education (May 1, 2011)
- Guest blog post on Washington Post.com about the proposed Lumina Degree Qualifications Profile and Academically Adrift. (January 27, 2011)
- Op-ed in Forbes magazine written by AAC&U president Carol Geary Schneider includes research and opinions about the importance of a liberal education. (August 10, 2009)
- Interview with Carol Geary Schneider in Change Magazine (November-December, 2008)
- Letter to the Editor of The Chronicle of Higher Education in response to “'Liberal Education': Lessons Beyond the Classroom” (August 4, 2008)
- President Schneider offers her condolences on the passing of education leader Patrick Hill (July 2008)
- Letter to the Editor of The Chronicle of Higher Education in response to "The Double Consciousness of Community Colleges" (October 26, 2007, subscription required).
- Letter to the Editor of the Wall Street Journal in response to “Our Compassless Colleges" (September 5, 2007).
- President Schneider issues statement of regret on suspension of Antioch University Undergraduate College (June 2007)
- Higher Learning and the Accountability Debates (June 2007)
- Letter to the Editor of the New York Times on the article, Unsung Gems: Twenty Lesser-Known Colleges on Insiders’ Short Lists (July 2006)
- Op-Ed on AAC&U's Campaign for Liberal Education in Inside Higher Education (February 2005)
- President Carol Schneider and Campus Compact Executive Director responds to Stanley Fish Op-Ed denouncing the academy's embrace of civic engagement as a goal (May 2004)
- Letter of Support for the National Endowment for the Humanities (March 2004)
- AAC&U Urges Senate to remove controversial advisory board from Title IV legislation (February 2004)
- Letter to the Editor of Time Magazine Responding to Story About Proposed Changes to the SAT from Carol Geary Schneider (October 2003)
Blog Postings by Carol Geary Schneider
- Liberal Arts Colleges: Still Setting the Standard for Quality AND Creativity in US Higher Education (March 4, 2015)
- Killing the Credit Hour? What We All Need to Know... (December 6,2012)
- The Dangerous Assault on the Liberal Arts and Sciences--Disciplines Basic to Democracy (August 27, 2012)
- Liberal Education and the Humanities: A Major Gift Renews Hope for the Future (December 22, 2010)
- Worth Reviving: Goals for Liberal Education from the "Greatest Generation" (August 23, 2010)
- The Butler Educational Phenomenon: Why the Bulldogs Are Winners, No Matter What Happens Tonight (April 5, 2010)
- Going Transatlantic: Bologna's Lessons (March 2, 2010)
- Unscripted Learning: Chinese Students on the Essence of a Liberal Education (October 23, 2009)
- The Proof Is in the Portfolio (October 19, 2009)
President's Messages in Liberal Education
- Summer 2014: "Toward That Second Century: Making Liberal Education Inclusive"
- Spring 2014: "One Hundred Years!"
- Fall 2013: "If Competency Is the Goal, Then Students' Own Work Is the Key to Reaching It"
- Summer 2013: "Defunding Disciplines Basic to Democracy"
- Spring 2013: "Losing our Way on the Meanings of Student Success"
- Winter 2013: "Did You Know? Employers Do Not Want Narrow, Illiberal Learning!"
- Fall 2012: "Is It Finally Time to Kill the Credit Hour?"
- Summer 2012: "The Dangerous Assault on Disciplines Basic to Democracy"
- Spring 2012: Diversity and Civic Learning: The Unfinished Work
- Winter 2012: "Where Completion Goes Awry: The Metrics for 'Success' Mask Mounting Problems with Quality"
- Summer/Fall 2011: "Deepening the Connections: Liberal Education and Global Learning"
- Spring 2011: "Civic Learning in College: Our Best Investment in the Future of Our Democracy"
- Winter 2011: "Liberal Education and the Humanities"
- Fall 2010: "General Education 1.0: An Efficiency Overhaul for the Cold War Curriculum"
- Summer 2010: "LEAP at the Five-Year Mark"
- Spring 2010: "The Impossible Takes a Little Longer"
- Winter 2010: "Real Reform, Faux Reform: Facing the Cost of the 'Throughput' Follies"
- Fall 2009: "The Clark/AAC&U Challenge: Connecting Liberal Education with Real-World Practice"
- Summer 2009: "Ready—Or Not?"
- Winter 2009: "The Proof Is in the Portfolio"
- Fall 2008: " Bologna Plus: The Liberal Education Advantage"
- Summer 2008: "Give Students a Compass: Can General Education Rise to the Challenge?"
- Spring 2008: "High Stakes, High Attrition: The STEM Civic Shortfall"
- Winter 2008: "A Different Take on Excellence"
- Fall 2007: " The Way Forward for Assessment"
- Summer 2007: "Katrina and the Supreme Court: Failing the Real Tests"
- Winter 2007: "It’s Not Just the Economy..."
- Fall 2006: "Recognizing and Supporting Faculty Work"
- Summer 2006: "Accountability From Weak Choices to Best Work"
- Spring 2006: "Why 'Balance' Is Not Enough"
- Winter 2006: "Diversity, Democracy, and Goals for Student Learning"
- Winter 2005: "Liberal Education and America's Promise"
- Summer 2004: "Cultural Pluralism and Civic Values"
- Spring 2004: "Liberal Education and the Professions"
- Winter 2004: "Birthday Reflections"
- Fall 2003: "Disciplining Virtues"
- Summer 2003: "Diversity, Complexity, and the Mismeasure of Learning"
- Spring 2003: "Silent Spring"
- Winter 2003: "Missing Knowledge"
- Fall 2002: "Greater Expectations and Civic Engagement"
- Summer 2002: "PFF--The Road Ahead"
- Spring 2002: "College Learning and Shared Futures"
- Fall 2001: "When "Understanding" Is Not Enough"
- Summer 2001: "Liberal Education: A for Creativity; D- for Communication...."
- Spring 2001: "Caveat Emptor"
Carol Geary Schneider